14 March 2008

Waymarking: Something to Consider

I recently visited waymarking.com for some unknown reason. The last time I visited it was about two years ago. I saw there was little activity in my area, so I just brushed it off. I also didn't like how it was set up because I couldn't seem to find any good categories.

It seems somewhat more appealing to me now, though. I think partly because I've found many of the caches in my area (except the super hard ones). Waymarking gives me a new reason to go out with my GPS. It's also easier to "hide" a Waymark than a Geocache. With waymarking, it's just about taking a waypoint of a certain place and describing it online (plus taking a picture is usually needed to verify information). Geocaching requires a container to be hidden. This ultimately means I have to buy a container, put tradeables in it, find a place it won't get muggled, etc. It's fun to hide new caches, but it is quite a bit of work.

I was browsing around the site a bit, and it doesn't sound too difficult or painful to use. Plus, there are some waymarks in my area that have been listed- which is motivating for me. Two years ago, seeing no listings in southern New Mexico was a disappointment. It was also harder at that time to find nearby waymarks, as I'm not sure the map search worked. Everything seems to be in order now, and I'll give it a chance.

Looking over the categories, there are a few that I'll probably spend some time adding listings to the state parks, mountain peaks, former schools, etc. Mountain peaks should be incredibly easy for me, since I've been doing the Twelve Labors of Herculces cache series.

I actually can see now how people can get into Waymarking. A few years ago, I didn't. Now that the site's grown a bit, it does sound like fun. Find an interesting location, take a picture, take the coordinates and document it online so others can find it, too.

No comments: