27 April 2008

Cachmobiles

Although for many (most?) caches, I've gotten there by the amazing luck that my truck would make it, I've also gotten to caches by bike (in addition to walking- but let's not go there). A few weeks ago, I rode my bike out 4 miles (8 miles round-trip) to get a cache. I have a feeling if I had driven to the area and just walked the last 600 feet to get to the cache, it wouldn't have been nearly as rewarding. I still would have found the cache, sure- but there's just something of an accomplishment of going 8 miles to find a cache. I think by having more energy and effort that goes into doing a hobby, more is gotten from it. In this case, I was able to get out of the house, get some exercise, and get a sense of achievement. Driving doesn't really allow for that. It is necessary to do though, particularly for the more remote caches- often which are rewarding in their own right.

In May, I'll be visiting San Francisco (en route to Geowoodstock VI in Sacramento). While in the area, I'm hoping to spend one day on Angel Island. There are about 40 caches there. The best part is that I should be able to rent a bike for the day. I think riding my bike to get 40 caches in a day is an ambitious goal. Driving to those caches would still be an accomplishment- but there's just something about that extra effort. I guess because even more goes into finding those caches than just finding the caches. The bike riding is its own special accomplishment, combined with geocaching, making it all the more great. It's the same with hiking and geocaching. They just go great together.

No comments: