29 April 2008

Geocaching camera and water caches

I've been looking for a new camera lately. One that really seems interesting is the Olympus Stylus 850 SW. It's shockproof, waterproof, and dustproof. This makes it one rugged camera- perfect for geocaching. What's neat is that you could drop it (from 5 feet) and it'd be fine. You can even take it underwater up to 10 feet (the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW can go down to 33 feet- in addition, the 1030 is crushproof to 220 lbs).

That got me thinking about water caches. I've only had to wade through water to get to one cache (ignoring rain, or simply taking a bad route): The Gates of Mordor, in which I had to cross the Rio Grande (there is no public bridge to that side at that particular spot). Imagine how great a waterproof camera would have been. I could have put the camera in the river to take a picture of any fish that were there (probably not that many, considering how low the river was). I still got some good shots without doing that (my log), though- just nothing underwater. It's also a good thing I didn't drop my camera into the water (another good thing if I had this camera).

It'd be fun to go out and do a cache I actually had to swim to. Living in New Mexico, however, there aren't many caches that are "water caches." There's one at Elephant Butte (Namesake Cache) that you have to take a boat to get to. Maybe if I move or visit some place a bit more wet, I'll be able to get to a wet cache. Hopefully by then I'll have a camera suitable for the adventure.

No comments: