05 November 2009

Got GPS?

I don't. Anymore. I managed to lose my GPS while attempting to find Big Windy Canyon. After a bit of hiking, I started feeling not so great. My nose was runny. I was moving at an incredibly slow rate. It was slow enough of a pace that I had doubts about getting up there and back before nightfall. It just wasn't a good hiking day. I did the sensible thing and turned around. Before I did that, I decided to climb up to the nearby hill for a scenic break. I could get lunch, call up a friend to hangout with after I got done, and just relax. It was relaxing. No, this isn't where I lost my GPS unit- I just really enjoyed the break.

I continued my hike down. I checked on my GPS unit once in a while. Soon, my friend calls me back. I tell her I found a good-ish path down avoiding a lot of the vegetation, and am actually making good time down (considering how long it took me to get to that point). I whipped out my GPS unit. 0.28 miles from the last cache I found (which was on my way back to the trail). I continued hiking.

About 10 minutes later, I wanted to get another reading, since I knew I was going at a nice pace. "I'll just turn on me GPS unit and--- Ah! I don't have my GPS unit!" I had no idea what happened to it. I followed my path back as best I could. For one part, that wasn't too bad- small canyon with only a few places to walk. I saw nothing. Then I get up out of the canyon. Oh. I have NO idea how I came down from the hill through this area about 2-3 acres that's full of boulders and dense vegetation in spots. I looked around in the smaller canyon for about an hour, but my nose was bothering me too much.

The next day, I hike out there again. I spend 4 hours looking around. It's not an easy thing, considering I'm not sure of the path I took. I can't do a thorough grid search because of the vegetation. The only way to find it is to walk around, going through areas that are more likely to have been used by me to walk through the day before. Oh, and my GPS unit is gray and black.

This will make geocaching a bit difficult until I can get a new one, but Christmas is coming soon. I wonder what will be at the top of my list?

No comments: