22 November 2009

Invasion of Roswell

I don't believe any aliens invaded Roswell, but I did! My dad and I visited last week for the Roswell That Ends Well event. It was a very fun event that had a slight twist on it. Most events tend to focus on finding caches. There are often games involved with finding the most, poker runs (where cards are placed at various caches- so you have to find more caches to get more cards, typically), etc. This event, however, focused more on the hiding aspect of geocaching. There were no prizes for those only finding caches. In that sense, finding the caches were the prizes. There were prizes for the best cache hide, however. There were some very good hides. Some were tricky, while others were simply hilarious and/or creative (but not necessarily difficult). The creativity of these hides really made the day fun. It was also pleasant not to worry about any contests. Sure, getting prizes at events is fun, but sometimes competition can make things stressful ("If we had only gone to that cache, we would have had another card..."). It can also be fun, though. This was a welcome change, though. I think hiders should be rewarded for their efforts.

Overall, the trip was very fun. It was a mixture of finding new caches (placed for the event) and existing caches. Altogether, my dad and I found 34 caches (18 on Saturday, 16 on Sunday as we drove home). We didn't see any aliens on this trip, however; I'm not sure if that's a good thing or something to be disappointed at.

No comments: