29 November 2009

Yet another event?

It seems there's some pressure (insert mysterious eyes) for another event in Las Cruces sometime soon. I had been discussing with a few people about scheduling one for January. I had almost forgotten about it, until I saw I <3 Events, an Albuquerque event scheduled for February. It just hit me. A February event is already in the planning processes. It's even listed up at geocaching.com. I think it's time to finally start making the plans for an event down here.

I've hosted four events in the past (along with one CITO):
  • Pillage the Village... Inn was a "simple" restaurant meet and greet (okay, didn't quite turn out that way). I also included a little "quiz" for a contest to win coins and ammo cans. For my first event, I think it went very well.
  • The Pride of Geocaching was held at a park at NMSU. It turned out great. The campus was empty (summer vacation), leaving the area ready to hide some caches.
  • F is for Friends Having Fun was part of my on-going ABC's of Geocaching series (which I will finish one day). It was held on a BLM facility on A Mountain, and was a noon pot luck. I also ended up hiding nine caches specifically for the event.
  • Another Aardvark Adventure Around the A was held at the same location as the last one, but was a slightly less organized potluck. It was more of a breakfast get together, with only a few caches. It still worked out great.
I'm thinking this time, it might be fun to try something a bit different. I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet, though. I've gotten suggestions that it should be later in the day so those from out of town can come. I also had a suggestion of having it not quite an all day thing, but a few hours with plenty of time to mingle and cache. I could also just have it a pure meet and greet without any new caches. I like the idea of having games, though. This is going to take some thinking. It'll be a fun event, and it'll be different. I'm going to try for the latter, only if the former holds true. Then again, I might not even throw this event- someone else was interested in hosting one. Eh, something will be worked out.

1 comment:

wesley said...

you better get your stuff in gear and get an event going...late march (like the 20th or 27th) would be a subtle hint from me...